Thursday, July 1, 2010

Spider Mum Tutorial and Mo's Challenge

Hi friends and happy July!  Wow, June just flew by.

Today is challenge time at Mo's and Elaine is our hostess for the entire month. Her first challenge for us is to use fabric on our card or project. I chose this darling image from Mo's that I haven't used before.  It's "Two Jill" and she's quite pouty, don't you think? If she were my little one she would have had a time out (and then a huge hug and then I'd have to kiss those cheeks)!!



I designed these Spider-type mums and they were quite easy to do using scraps from my ever-growing scrap bin. I created these in my head the other night while trying to fall asleep -- no wonder I'm exhausted lately.

Except for waiting for the glue to dry, each flower took about 2 minutes to make - at the most! 



Start with a piece of cardstock, approximately 4-5" in length... cut one side at an angle with a paper cutter or scissors.



With paper snips, make incremental cuts into the angled side of the paper, making sure not to cut through to the opposite end. The narrower your cuts, the narrower your petals will be. Just experiment - the beauty of this is that there's no right or wrong way! It's pretty forgiving.



Here's another look... it's not angled as much as the previous one. But each one will create a different looking Spider Mum.



Starting at the narrowest end, roll the paper into a coil.  Hold it together with tweezers. On the flat, uncut side, use liquid glue such as Beacon's 3-in-1 or Zip-Dry - and generously cover the entire coil. Hold it in the tweezer until it's completely dry. After a few minutes you will be put it down on your work surface while it dries while you start the next mum.





Use your fingers to spread the petals open... the smaller side of the cardstock creates the center of the Spider Mum. You can curl the outer layers under with a bone folder if you would like. The center of the mum is dense and actually looks like the center cluster of a marigold or dandelion. 

Just use different sizes of cardstock to create a lovely bouquet of small and larger mums as I did in today's card.  If you make it, please let me know. I'd love to see your version.

I still have another tutorial to share with you from a flower I posted two weeks back that I promised to show you. So please check back... it's almost done.

For the fabric portion of my card, I add (retired) SU felt leaves... they were perfect additions to my Spider mums and perfect for this week's challenge to use fabric.  There's also some punched leaves made from cardstock. Hope you like it and that you'll join us in the challenge this week.

Here's my challenges for today:
Crazy Challenge - Make it in a hour (the flowers)
ABC Challenge - Red, white and blue
Terrifically Thrilling Thursday - Things in threes (DP)
Magical Crafts - Flower power


Thanks so much for stopping by... I love hearing from you and appreciate your comments very much.

Ciao for now, friends ~

17 comments:

Aunty Sue said...

Fab card and love the tut will have aplay later. thanks

Dawn B. said...

I am wishing my flowers looked this good..Great tutorial Peggy. Love this..

Cathy said...

Peggy, your card is precious, Your flowers are wonderful, thanks for the Tutorial...I will have to try them. Awesome Challenge card GF!!!

Jeni said...

She does need a hug. This image is too cute. Lovely card. Awesome flowers. Thanks for the lesson. ~jeni :)

Anonymous said...

Ooh Peggy this is gorgeous. I fell in love with this image too, don't you just love that expression ! Love your flowers too ! Sue x

Heather said...

Peggy your card is sensational! Totally in LOVE with this tutorial and will be using it often! Hugs & Happy 4th!

Elaine L. said...

Peggy, Your flowers are wonderful, and the leaves are their perfect complement!

Shell Shearer Swinscoe said...

thanks for the tut hun, must remember to have a play laters lol
Gorgeous card love her little face she is soooooooo our KT lol
Thanks for joinin us at 'The Crazy' this week! Good Luck
Hugs Shell xx

Annika said...

Now. Those flowers = super cool. Soooo want to try it out RIGHT NOW!!! lol
FAb card, Mo's image is just stunning - as they always are and I LOVE that felt leaves/handmade flowers cluster!!
Hugs
Annika

theneon said...

A delightful card and I am so glad you can't sleep because you are creating new ideas all the while. Thanks for the great Mum tut -- yahoo! more I can do with all those scraps that I can't bear to through away.

shulsart said...

Great card, Peggy, you have colored little Jill perfectly and those are great flowers. Good luck and thanks for joining in on the fun at ABC Toys and Crafts.

Angie Williams said...

So neat!! I am going to have to try those out! Thanks for sharing and the card is so sweet!

Karolyn at Paper Therapy said...

Love the flower tutorial - will definitely be trying that out! Your card is wonderful, as well. Thanks so much for playing with us at ABC Toys & Crafts!

luvthatstampin said...

Thank you for that excellent tutorial. Flowers are so in now, and the more we use them, the happier we'll be.

Joey said...

Hi Peggy

I was just about to comment on those flowers then you showed us how to do them!!! thankyou so much they look fabulous. Gorgeous card.

Joey.x

Lesley said...

Fab card, the image is so cute and I love your flowers! Thanks for taking part in the Magical Crafts challenge xx

Amanda said...

Fab flowers and lovely image.

Thanks for joining us at Magical Crafts.

Amanda

Favorite Quotes

"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel". - Maya Angelou

Visitors since March 2009

Blog Created by KLM Designs. For more information please contact me at klmdesignsofnh@yahoo.com

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP